View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #27
Enchantress

How Do You Identify?:
A complex confection.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Miss

Thanked 3,421 Times in 1,201 Posts
Enchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST ReputationEnchantress Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclopea View Post
I find this absolutely disturbing.

Little girls too young to even have curves or breasts yet, being taught such overtly sexual moves and suggestive ways.

As for the original video, I don't believe the father meant anything offensive. He simply reacted as almost anyone would.

It's impossible to tell in this video if it was meant as a *You're not a girl stop being a sissy way*. I believe that the father was simply playing with his son.

I do find it fascinating though how the child reacted. He's much too young to know that there are boy things and girl things (as placed by society). He simpy went with instinct to have fun and be a part of something. He seems to be not only upset about not being able to do as his sisters were, but also humiliated at the fact that he made some sort of a mistake (or so he thinks). Such moments, even if not in the forefront of our minds, stay with us for a lifetime.

I do not feel that giving a little girl pink things and a little boy blue things makes or breaks their sexuality or sense of being.

Instead, it is when a parent or person of authority berates and forces a child into a role or situation, or does not respect the childs wishes for certain toys and such (based again on what they believe society finds acceptable) that it becomes dangerous, cruel and oppresses their (the childs)spirit.
Enchantress is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enchantress For This Useful Post: