View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Thanked 2,531 Times in 412 Posts
Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation

I had two goals as a parent, based upon what I did NOT want to repeat from my own childhood:

I prioritized my son. Even in the context of many adult changes in my life, I did everything I could to keep his needs front and center. Yet, I did not sacrifice myself for him - as I do not think that makes for healthy parenting.

I always listened to and honored his feelings, even when i could not give him what he wanted. This meant talking, honesty, choices, and boundaries.

My son, now 18, is doing great in school, in his activities, and in his relationships. But I always say that it's up to my son, not me, to determine what kind of a job I did as a parent.

But I know that I did a better job than my parents were able to do, and I am proud of that.

Heart
Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post: