Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

I think this is a fascinating topic particularly when viewed through the lens of nature versus nurture.

It's one I've thought a lot about in recent years, especially since discovering my biological father is someone other than who I thought.

I don't know what I've "gotten" from my biological father genetically ... but I can guess, from what little I know, that there is some genetic predisposition for wanderlust that we share. Both of our families have settled and remained in the same region for generations, but both he and I have been expatriates and chosen not to settle in our home region. He seems to be a clever man (to a point) but I'm hoping I've not inherited his propensity for felonious crimes. Perhaps I just use my powers for good.

This past year I was able to locate an obituary for my biological paternal grandmother, and seeing her photo was like a sneak peak of Sparkle-at-80years old. We have very similar faces - shape of face, cheekbones, forehead, eyes, nose, chin - the similarities are remarkable. It made me smile and she aged quite well (hoorah!), and she was wearing a stylish plaid tam in her photo (see also: genetic love of fine millinery).

This topic is also interesting to me because my maternal grandparents were heavily involved in raising me and because of that I tend to attribute characteristics or proclivities to my grandparents.

But things I know my mother has 'given me':

Her laugh and the tone and timbre of her voice. I was at a wedding a month ago and one of my mother's coworkers was a guest, I didn't know who her colleague was, but she was able to identify me as being my mother's daughter by my laugh, which she said was identical.

Similarly, on more than a few occasions, I've said something and in a moment of clarity "heard my mother". You know that startling and often horrifying experience where you think "OHMYGODI'VEBECOMEMYMOTHER" - those are often 'learning moments' for me and have helped me to change some my patterns of behavior (for the better).

From my mother and my maternal grandfather I have been given a distinct sense of joi de vivre, a cheekiness and charm that is often effective and infectious. I'm grateful that I have it, life is hard, having an innate source of positivity to draw from has helped me through some tough stuff.

Also from my mother (and grandmother and great grandmother) I've inherited my 5' nothin" stature and proportionally (ridiculously) small hands and feet. My mother and I also share our unique eye colour, in a family dominated by blue-eyed people.

My mother also nurtured in me a love for art and literature, both of which continue to influence and enrich my life.

From my maternal grandmother I've inherited her cheek bones and her ample bosom (a physical trait that skipped my mother). We share the same sense of personal responsibility (and urgency) around caring for and ensuring the safety and well being of our family. This is undoubtedly a result of familial circumstances, birth order and gender socialization; but it is a very distinct trait we both have that other family members do not have. And the trait has manifested itself in deep bonds with our family members and in generalized anxiety for both of us.

My grandmother also instilled in me a love of shoes, hats and handbags and all things sparkly. And she shared with me her abiding love of music, despite the fact that she lived her whole life with significant to hearing loss, she was always moved by music.