The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Please share your Transportation Security Administration (TSA) experiences here. Be sure to denote if you are referring to before or after the “enhanced” pat downs began in November 2010.

I have not flown for over a year now and I find I am dreading any interaction with the TSA screeners due to the multitude of recent negative reports. I really want to know I am over reacting so my honey and I can fly away to some place warm for a week or so.

As much as I would love to know how everyone feels about the TSA, it would be my preference to hear from only those that have experienced TSA security. Thank you for your consideration.

Please tell me your experience(s) and be sure to include:

1) What airport you flew out of
2) Did you go through a metal detector or the backscatter
3) Did you alarm or opt out
4) Describe your pat down experience, if any
5) Describe the experience of anyone traveling with you or to visit you
6) State how you feel about the TSA and Homeland Security
7) Anything else you feel is pertinent

I travel regularly. By that I mean I usually am somewhere up in the air 1-4 times a month. In fact, I have an upcoming trip outside of the US. The main airports I use/have gone through are: LAX (current home airport); JFK (Terminal 8 was former home airport); DFW (go through lots); YYZ (Toronto -- 1-3 times a year); YUL (Pierre Elliot Trudeau airport in Montreal); YHZ (once every other year); SJC (San Jose, CA); SFO (San Fran) and so on. I've rarely had problems in the last 3 years (I've had about 40-50 flights in those years) except once when I had my new passport but the ticket was in my old name. That took an extra 5 min at DC's Dulles airport (gawd awful TSA design where ALL terminals go through the same security checkpoint).

I've gone through both and have never had a problem (I'm pre-op at all levels). And I've never alarmed. This is simply because I've gotten a good routine: when going to the airport I put all things that could trigger the alarm into my knapsack, remove my laptop, take off my cap and shoes. While each TSA Security checkpoint has minor differences there are some consistencies:

- bags should be on the conveyor belt
- laptops, iPads and other tablets in their own box on the conveyor
- liquids outside of carry-on (I rarely take liquids with me unless it's my T -- most other liquids stay in my checked luggage)
- shoes are usually sandals (Keens) or Five Fingers; ideally something to easily slip on and off

I tend to get through checkpoints in 5 min or less. I've never been patted down but that may be because I've never given them reason to. I listen to what is said, pay attention, be polite and smile.

As for TSA and Homeland Security, well.. as a person who is allowed to stay in the country on a work visa and how I've been treated by them and USCIS, I'll hold my tongue. I will say this: I've seen some of the nastiest things said to TSA agents. These people do not get paid huge amounts to do their jobs nor do they deserve to receive the wrath of what we dislike about the rules. Those should be fired at the head of Homeland Security and the various Reps and Senators that voted the Patriot Act and Super Patriot Act into action, the very laws, IIRC, that created this organization.

As for safe, hardly. As a security geek, I can think of things that could make this country more safe (mostly related to how the US maintains it's foreign policy and it's image abroad). This does add transparency but doesn't address the true issue of safety. Regulations for the airlines, consumer protection and better standardization would help. Hearing -- non-stop -- about it being "Threat Level Orange" is asinine and does nothing.

Now, I will add that in this day and age I'd expect everyone to know what's required of them when traveling. I get frustrated by the number of people who refuse to check their oversized bag (yes, I know there is a fee with some airlines but it is annoying) and I get further annoyed by those who don't come to the security check points prepared in advance. TSA's website (and now their iPhone app) actually have good guidance as to what to do when going through the security process and what you're allowed to bring.

From TSA's website:

Quote:
Make Your Trip Better Using 3-1-1

TSA and our security partners conducted extensive explosives testing since August 10, 2006 and determined that liquids, aerosols and gels, in limited quantities, are safe to bring aboard an aircraft. The one bag limit per traveler limits the total amount each traveler can bring. Consolidating the bottles into one bag and X-raying them separately from the carry-on bag enables security officers to quickly clear the items.

3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3.4 ounce (100ml) bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3.4 ounce (100ml) container size is a security measure.

Be prepared. Each time TSA searches a carry-on it slows down the line. Practicing 3-1-1 will ensure a faster and easier checkpoint experience.

3-1-1 is for short trips. If in doubt, put your liquids in checked luggage.

Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint. Officers may need to open these items to conduct additional screening.
Now, yelling at you is not acceptable. I would suggest that if it happens in the future, contact their Civil Rights office (I think it's kind of like an ombudsman or something: http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/civilrights/index.shtm) I will say that they have improved and they are listening to passengers. They certainly have been listening to the trans* community and our concerns, particularly about the Backscatter scanner.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post: