Old 03-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #4
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelt View Post
This sparked my interest although I'm not sure why.

I have never seen the show, and I was unaware of any controversy on the subject until just reading the linked article. I have not read any other points of view on the subject.

I have always viewed Drag, from way back when, as performance art. Along the lines of cabaret. Designed to subvert outward biology and the norms associated with it as a show of power, perversion, and yes, humor. Whether Queen or King. I view transgender as a deliberate life choice/need and not a performance. My opinion only, obviously.
I too have never seen the show and didn't know about the controversy.

I agree with everything Kelt says here, except I don't see being transgender as a "deliberate life choice/need". But, I wonder if Kelt meant to say "medical transition" here instead of transgender. I will give him a ring-a-ding-ding to ask him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazonDC View Post
For Me it's a matter of wording.. if you are trans you are not a drag queen you are a woman.. or drag king or a man... the whole point of Drag is a show it's not your daily wear.. it's makeup and costumes.. just like when Carmen was on there.. she had not transitioned yet... anyways that's just My opinion for whatever it's worth.. again for Me it's in the wording.. it's ru Paul's Drag Race and being trans is serious not a drag show.. that's where I think ru was headed with it.. ru is right it wouldn't be fair because if you have transitioned you have had major work done to perfect your putter looks to match your inner...again just My opinion
I agree.

Medusa, you have a good point when it is asked if people would be ok with medically transitioned male identified trans men doing Drag (as Drag Kings). I think that where things become sticky is when there are Drag Kings (who started the art as female), who want to continue to do Drag when they transition. I think many do continue, as I suspect that the Drag King community/allies allow it. But, that would be me stating that I still belong in lesbian only spaces when I am male identified trans man.

You can't have it both ways.

------

*Definition of lesbian (Oxford English Dictionary):
NOUN
A homosexual woman.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post: