Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Appreciate your thoughts, folks!

I've continues to watch this unfold even though I haven't watched any of the new seasons in a couple of years (I don't do tv unless I'm at JD's!). It looks as if there are a few queens who have begun their transitions who are really upset with what they feel are transphobic statements from RuPaul.

One point that another queen (who is not transitioning) made is that the women who have transitioned or are in the process of transitioning have an unfair advantage when it comes to the art of drag aka "female impersonation".

Since they *are* female they aren't impersonating a female. Some of them have had breast augmentation and electrolysis which also gives them a time advantage when other contestants are having to spend time strapping on a breast plate or covering their 5 o'clock shadow.

And you know? That seems fair to say that a person who is not having to strap on a breast plate, tuck and tape their penis and balls, and spackle their facial hair has the advantage of spending less time to "look" female because they already *are* female.

Maybe it's as simple as changing the concept of the show but RuPaul seemed to be making the point that he was all about old-school drag where men wear dresses and impersonate females. I have watched and loved RuPaul for years and I feel like he has a really good and honest heart. He doesn't seem like the type to just flippantly make transphobic comments or be hateful about other people's bodies.
I'll see if I can get JD to come in here and comment on his perception of RuPaul since they grew up and partied together.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post: