Old 12-27-2016, 09:55 PM   #9
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
I'm curious about something! I've seen a lot of people talk about adult coloring books - some with delight and some with disdain.

What's your opinion? Do you color? Do you think it's a waste of time? Tell me your thoughts!

I haven't used a coloring book since I was a kid but I did see a Harry Potter coloring book this weekend and it seriously made me consider joining the craze but due to lack of time to do much of anything these days, I refrained.

If you do color, feel free to drop a link to your favorite book! (This basically means I'm coloring by proxy) LOL

I think coloring has its place. I do color on occasion. I don't think it's a waste of time if it is fun or helpful to the colorer.

I was part of the round that clay mentioned and it was really fun to see what all of the other folks did and the choices they made. I don't like using regular highlighter pens for the reason clay said; it tore up the paper and left rough bits. On that project, I used Sharpie marker, both fine and thick lined. Very vibrant and I was even able to get some blending although it's harder to do than with pencils. Pencils are very 'in' right now. Well, coloring is very 'in' right now so I guess that makes sense.

I have tons of books because I always over prepare for these projects. Honestly, I really have to be in the mood. I can't color on command because then it feels kind of like what easygoing said. It feels like work and boring, even with the TV on, because I always need sound in the background (like Corkey).

This winter I purchased a drafting table, which is great because I'm able to set the angle of the top to whatever is comfortable to me. The bad part is that some of the pictures require such a delicate touch that I had to get a lamp with a magnifier on it and then I couldn't adjust my table top and so my back was NOT happy. The downside, for me, to the adult coloring books is that 98% of the pages have minute detailing. But they are very pretty to look at once completed.

Suggestion: find some online pics or pick up a cheap book and a box/clam shell package of pencils or markers or whatever strikes your fancy and sit down for about an hour. If, after that hour, you feel great and want to continue, do so. Coloring may be your new thing. If you have spent that hour distracted or bored or irritated, then maybe coloring isn't for you. If you liked it but were distracted, then maybe you should only color in half hour segments of time. Or maybe you need music in the background. That's when I had the best time. Good music and a magnifying glass because my eyes are old as dirt.

The win win for me is that, even if I don't color all the pages in all of the books I picked up, I can still use them for mixed media crafting so it's all good. I can even send you some if you want. Just let me know.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post: