View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #51
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,373 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

I wish I could send a psychic long-winded message to customers everywhere and ask them, for the love of Dog, to stop harassing customer service reps about company policies, or corporate level decisions.

I get it. You're frustrated, you waited on hold a long time, your bill is high, your power is off, you don't like sharing your social security number or even the last 4 digits of it, you think the big corporations are out to get the little guy (you're probably right, but I'm not going to chat with you about it on the recorded line of my employer)...etc.etc...

Speaking for CSRs...

I am not responsible for any of these complaints, whether they are valid or not, I did not personally do anything to you or your family, I didn't make the policies, I can't change the policies, I can't erase your charges...etc.

Write a letter to the corporate office, speak with the public utilities commission, your elected representatives, take the fucking survey I'm required to shove down your throat during every call...but for Dog's Sake, stop treating me like shit, when I am trying so hard to get to the root of the reason for your call, and get to that next customer, who is waiting too long on hold (the same thing you probably complained about), because you can't get down to business.

If you want help with your account, work with me. Try not to dive down the rabbit hole of chatter when you haven't supplied me with the address I asked you for, so that I can see what the hell you are even talking about. I understand you are busy, and can't stay on the phone for a long time, but if you give me 3 minutes of push back about me placing you on hold to resolve something for you, how is that helping the situation?

If you have a problem with giving out your personal information, address that with someone who has the ability to do something about those policies. I can't help you with your account, until you verify your account, and I'm not going to skip that part, risking my job, because you are having a fit about it. Why do we have to continue having this conversation?

Please realize, that we are given stats and goals that we are required to meet, to stay employed, because we have to pay the same bills you do. I am not independently wealthy simply because I am employed, so quit with the wisecracks, when I ask if there is anything else I can help you with, it is not as funny as you think, to say "you could pay my bill". I have bills too. Also, this is not a dating service, I don't have time or inclination to flirt with you. I am required to express, during each call, that I am helpful, friendly, empathetic, knowledgeable, efficient, and thorough. I also am required to use many phrases and words during each call. I am required to do all of this and make sure the reason you called is resolved, you don't feel the need to call back, make you feel good about both myself and the company I work for, and have an average handle time (total time of the call, plus any work that needs to be done to complete your request after the call) of 320 (apprx 5 min) seconds, to be an excellent employee, I have to do this in 280 seconds (apprx 4 min).

Keep in mind, that in corporate America, in order to keep the money in the shareholders' pockets, companies will continue to downsize, and expect the employees left behind, to pick up the work of their fallen comrades (usually with no additional pay incentive), and I am generally taking more calls than any human should be expected to in one day, because some jackass wants more money than one human could spend in a lifetime. Again, not my decision, nothing I can do about it, I am simply trying to remain employed.

I am not hear for your verbal abuse, I am here to help. Admittedly, there are some people in customer service jobs, that are burned out, detached from their customers and their struggles, are cold, jaded, and callused from years in the business, but keep in mind, we are not all the same, a lot of us genuinely are trying to make your situation better, in the best way or only way that we can, with the limited tools at our disposal.

Last, but certainly not least important...

When you call me, please give me your undivided attention. I shouldn't have to repeat my opening line (another requirement) 3 times, because the television, internet, friends, drive-through, toilet time, screaming children etc are distracting you. I am tired, I have to talk to 99 more people today, and you making me repeat myself multiple times during a call, because you are not paying attention, is just plain cruel.

End today's rant...
Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post: