View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:
Professional Sandbagger and Jenga Zumba Instructor

Location: In the master control room of my world domination dreams
Thanked 4,736 Times in 1,409 Posts
SoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST Reputation

When I lived in the DC area, my ex and I would volunteer for something called Burgundy Crescent, a queer organization that matched volunteers with organizations across the DC-MD-VA area in a variety of roles. I worked helped prep food at a soup kitchen, ushered at a theatre, helped guests at Soldiers' Legal Defense Network banquets, and pruned cherry trees along the Potomac basin, among other things.

One day, our organizer put out a call to us in an email. He wrote that a renowned astronomer and Gay right activist could use some help. Our organizer shared that the astronomer was living alone in DC with an overgrown yard, crappy neighbors who wanted him gone and without of means. He was Dr. Kameny.

A group of 20 of us spent a hot afternoon mowing, cutting down bamboo, cleaning and visiting. Dr. Kameny couldn't have been more surprised or more gracious. And I was so very grateful to be able to give something back to someone who had so bravely sacrificed so much to forward the movement.

I am grateful for Burgundy Crescent and organizations like it. And I will long remember that day at Dr. Kameny's house.

Thank you for posting this, Iamkeri1. It's very important that we know our histories and honor those who led and sacrificed and made the way easier for us.
SoNotHer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SoNotHer For This Useful Post: