Old 12-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #79
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,773 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orema View Post
This was more than being blunt and short. This was rude. And her probable anxiousness and concern is no reason not to expect her to be thoughtful enough not to mention the possible death of someone in the context of her exchange.

After living in NYC for many years I suspect she'd be met with everything from humor to anger after that careless reply, but this wasn't the northeast and I think she knew better (hence her backing up for 10 minutes when Besame gave her the look—LOL).
I was going to say something but then Collette said this below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0LLETTE View Post
Scenario:

Client: "What if you die?"

Clerk: "Then she'll take care of it"...pointing to another associate. "And if she dies, then that associate over there will help you. And if you die, then we'll send your refund to the funeral home."
See, now that's probably along the likes of what I would have said.

I've worked directly with the public all over the country, North to East to South to West, from big and inner city to out in the boondocks folks, since I was 15 and have had some really and truly rude and really and truly offensive and intrusive comments said to and about me.

I get that this falls into that category for you and Besame and am not saying that is not a legit feeling. I'm saying that that's really not as bad as it could have been, in my experience. Sure, tactless and maybe a little rude. Not as rude as an attempt of employment blackmail in order to get me to go out with someone, but still pretty tactless. It's all relative. I've experienced much worse, so for me, it's not a big deal. For you, it is. I get that and respect your feelings and the right to express mine as well.

Agree to disagree?

For the record, I can trigger at names. If someone knows my name and how I want to be addressed and they choose to use another name, for whatever reason, it irks me. If it's done often, I will go as far as to eliminate them from my life. Especially if it's someone in our community. Sometimes our chosen names and ways to be addressed are not necessarily what is found on our birth certificates and when someone refuses to address another as they see themselves and want to be addressed, I find that to be a very cutting form of disrespect and I don't have time or room for that in my life. So, if Besame's customer had purposefully addressed her as Gemme during the exchange, knowing that she is Besame, then I would have felt more strongly about it.

*shrug*

We all have our stuff and those who deal directly with the public have to develop thicker skin because of folks who may be abrasive, whether by design or not.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post: