Old 09-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #30
odd_boi_out

How Do You Identify?:
transmasculine, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
they
Relationship Status:
Single

odd_boi_out Has the BEST Reputationodd_boi_out Has the BEST Reputationodd_boi_out Has the BEST Reputationodd_boi_out Has the BEST Reputationodd_boi_out Has the BEST Reputationodd_boi_out Has the BEST Reputationodd_boi_out Has the BEST Reputationodd_boi_out Has the BEST Reputationodd_boi_out Has the BEST Reputationodd_boi_out Has the BEST Reputationodd_boi_out Has the BEST Reputation

The Butch Pronoun Questionnaire

1. How do you identify? Transmasculine, butch

2a. What is your preferred pronoun (when referencing yourself)? They

2b. Do you feel like your preferred pronoun fits you perfectly? Pretty well, I guess

2c. Did you have another or other preferred pronouns in the past? I used he for a number of years, and she when I was growing up

3a. Does your preferred pronoun vary depending on setting? I always prefer they, but in some settings and around some people I don't feel comfortable sharing that. Most people tend to default to using he for me unless I tell them otherwise.

4. How important is it to you that people use your preferred pronoun? Moderately important, though I don't get too bent out of shape about it

5a. If somebody refers to you by the pronoun, "he," and this is not your preferred pronoun, how do/would you feel? Somewhat invalidated, but I'm pretty used to it

5b. How do/would you react? I probably wouldn't do anything

6a. If somebody refers to you by the pronoun, "she," and this is not your preferred pronoun, how do/would you feel? Confused, and a little embarassed

6b. How do/would you react? Again, I probably wouldn't do anything. I'm ridiculously nonconfrontational.

7a. If somebody refers to you by the pronoun, "hy," and this is not your preferred pronoun, how do/would you feel? Really confused. I've never heard/seen anyone use the pronoun hy outside of this forum.

7b. How do/would you react? I'm not sure.

8a. If somebody refers to you by the pronoun, "zie," and this is not your preferred pronoun, how do/would you feel? A little frustrated, I think, though also impressed that the person was comfortable with nonbinary pronouns.

8b. How do/would you react? I would probably make a point to let the person know that I don't use the pronoun zie.

9a. When speaking of a specific butch, do you strive to ensure you are using that person's preferred pronoun? In general, I strive to ensure that I use people's preferred pronouns.

10a. Do you associate different traits with different butch pronouns? Not really. I used to, but as a butch who has preferred different pronouns over the course of my (rather short) life but who myself has changed very little, I no longer really associate universal distinctions between butches who identify with different pronouns.

11a. If you are referring to a butch, and you have not had the opportunity to find out what that person's preferred pronoun is, do you use a default pronoun? I would probably avoid using a pronoun or use the pronoun that others are using for them. If I really felt that I had to default, I would probably default to she. I know more butches who prefer she than those who prefer other pronouns.

11d. Would you advocate a community-wide standard in this case? If so, what would it be and why? No. Each person has the right to decide what pronoun works best for them.

12a. If you are referring to a hypothetical butch, do you use a default pronoun? Not usually, but if I had to, I'd probably use she, for the reason given above.

13a. Do you tend to partner with butches who use a certain pronoun more often than others? I've never partnered with a butch before.

14a. Are there times when you have been corrected for using an incorrect pronoun for a butch? No
odd_boi_out is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to odd_boi_out For This Useful Post: