View Single Post
Old 06-06-2020, 06:42 PM   #479
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
He’s my boo bear.

Thanked 32,044 Times in 9,967 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Just checking in today

So, not sure if any of you know about some of the things going on in my own metro area of Oregon. Last week, after nearly two months of people who desperately needed unemployment benefits, our governor was presented with enough evidence by two Democratic senators, who represent big districts of voters in our metro area, to force the governor to fire the chief honcho who used to run the Unemployment/Employment department. Many people in our state have not received unemployment covid benefits to this date. Two and a half months later, still no one has received any monetary assistance. My sister-in-law is in that group of people who are in dire financial straits. I would be in that situation too, had I still been an independent contractor and in the same industry she is in. Thank heavens I am not, but wow, imagine how bad it is for people who are still not receiving any compensation from being laid off their jobs, due to the ongoing spread of COVID 19.

Which, btw, the largest county in our metro area is planning to open up to the 1st phase of opening up the county. Not nary a word in the news about up-ticks in new covid cases, which there are new cases being reported each day since last week or the week before. But we hear about it via OPB news snippets during the first airing of news on the radio as we drive to work.

Each day that goes by, particularly this coming week, highways will be jam-packed with frenzied drivers hurrying to work, which will make getting to work a long an arduous commute. Even public transit still has limited service and limits the amount of riders allowed on buses or trains. It is going to be a nightmare, once next week gets under way.

Today? I went out and bought more toilet paper, face tissues, and restocked OTC meds I have run out of, since things disappeared from stores weeks ago. We still can't find cleaning products like we used to be able to buy, before this all went haywire in early March.

But I've found replacement supplies at natural grocer types of stores. I've had to pay a higher price to get it, but at least I have what I need on hand here at home, in case we come to a screeching halt again. It's hard to find clean fresh uncompromised food sources. I am super careful where I buy my produce, because in recent local news, several produce suppliers and local produce farms were found to have their work crews who tested positive for COVID. So that is very concerning news. It makes finding uncompromised food super difficult.

At work? This past week, plexiguard barriers were installed everywhere on campus. Laminated signs are on nearly every window, door, hallway, in the elevators, bathrooms and no lobby furnishings have returned -- so people can't sit in the lobby or meander around doing nothing or claim that no one told them they can't stand around invading each other's space. The six foot rule will be enforced and it will all be on CCTV so people can't lie their way out of not knowing the rules and/or the new standards for conduct & decorum (pinch of sarcasm alert).

I'm worried. I am very concerned. COVID is not over with and now it's going to be super serious if new waves of illness take off due to people not changing their behaviors.

That's all I got for now. I hope we all survive and that safety is not compromised over the coming weeks and months ahead.

______ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: