Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile Interesting Thread, AJ!

1. Why hang onto beliefs for which there is no evidence? Faith. I have too. When my sister, Jo, was dying from skin cancer, everything stopped for me. I could not see the cancer that was in her lungs, on her liver, kidneys, pancreas, bladder, and reproductive organs. I could read the results of her Pet Scans, MRI's, that proved the cancer. It was my faith of 3 years praying for her to keep her alive and well. Our goal was to have her see her oldest son graduate from high school. She died before that date. But she lives in her 2 sons. Jo was suffering horribly. No amount of pain killers helped her. It was time. We put her in CaringBridge, and had updates going each week, then daily. We had made 2 books made for her 2 sons. We plan on giving them to the boys at a later date. And really nobody could really help me when I was grieving except for someone from my Grief Share Group.

2. Why is it considered fair for evidence based beliefs to be held to a different standard than non-evidentiary beliefs? Everyone travels on a different journey in their faith. That is why there are so many different religious belief systems. There is no right or wrong belief system when it comes to faith.

3. If one subscribes to a non-evidentiary based belief system is there anything that could dissuarde one from believing it? Life itself. It is hard. Say you have a disabled child, someone in your family has cancer or another kind of disease, or you have no means of healthcare. You can be poor, needy, and the list goes on. No politician, or anyone else will help you. Sure your friends will help as best they can, but that can only happen for so long. Then you will see your friends drift away. Then you have those who place a lot on your job, your income, your statis, and so on. If you don't measure up, then they want nothing to do with you.

4.How does one tell the difference between "good" non-evidentuary beliefs (say psychic powers) and malign one (say racism or Pat Robertson's...). I think and believe that most people who have psychic powers also have a deep faith of some sort. For example, I am Roman Catholic. I have not stepped in any organized religion for over 20+ years because of how the Church was. But then my sister got sick. Everything changed with that. Everything. If there was a slight chance that God would spare her life, I would have done anything at all, but I knew inside that she would die. I knew it the minute she told me. Instinct, gut feeling, whatever. We were the close. In fact, she used to call me her adorable lil one. When someone who is in a position to influence alot of people and says horrible things like God hates fags, or Pastors who tell families to disown their gay kids...that is wrong. God is love. We should always comfort people. Not throw ignorant crap in their face. That is what is wrong with people today. God would want us to comfort each other. Help each other out. To forgive & bear wrongs that are thrown at us. It is just being merciful as I see it.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote