Old 08-11-2011, 05:43 AM   #55
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default Comments plus a question for educators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachita View Post
It scares me to think what my granddaughter will have access to when she is old enough for school. Having had several teachers work for me at the farm part time during the summer I know for a fact that many are serious alcoholics, at least around these parts. You see them posting on facebook all the time. It's a small town and everyone knows everyone's business.

If I want her to go to a good school it will cost me 600.00 a month for kindergarten. That goes up every year. Her mother or father can't afford it and in their eyes public schools are just as good.

I won't rant about our country because I am majorly disappointed. I do not support any government agency any longer. In fact I will look for ways to avoid them rather then depend on them. This includes the public school system
How about home schooling for the first few years to save some cash? You could put her in various programs with other kids to make sure she got the socialization aspect.

I am curious to know from any teachers here (elementary/secondary ed educators), what they think about home schooling? Additionally, taking the negatives of home schooling into consideration, what would be the best years to home school if "necessary"?

---------------------

I would guess there are just as many "alcoholic" teachers as there are alcoholic clergy, doctors, lawyers, landscapers, etc. I would suggest that you just are more aware of it b/c of your small town.

In terms of the gov't...I am already paying for public schools with my taxes, so I support their quest for improvement. The school system here (according to national "testing") is not so good. Subsequently, many people try to figure out a way to pay for their children to go to private school.

Although I support my partner sending her child to private school, if I had a child, I would do what I could (from day one of my kid hitting the door), to support good creative teachers to make changes in the school system that they feel would benefit our children. How can we expect our schools to get better if we are constantly bailing on them? Where is our support for our teachers who struggle to be the best they can (and succeed) only to be met with a country who says, "You are not good enough. We do not believe in you". Don't we need to care if we want them to?

<---public school kid and proud of it.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post: