Old 12-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #4
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,559 Times in 2,993 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
There's a lot of talent here. I was hoping we could help each other with home project questions.

I happen to have a few home projects going on right now and would like to ask some help of someone who knows plumbing.

This is my dilema:

Kitchen - good cold water pressure and poor hot water pressure
Bathtub - has poor hot and cold water pressure
Bathroom - sink has great hot and cold water pressure.

I have replaced the kitchen and bathroom sinks within the past year and I am hesitant to get to involved with my plumbing because it is old galvanized pipe--where is the problem at, just the screens or is it indicitive of an issue with the hot water heater (which is about 15 y/o)?

Sounds like you may have sediments in the valve or shower head for the tub area. The kitchen may be the same thing.

I've been warned about touching the galvanized pipes..is it true they are hell to work with?

Yes they are, I repiped my house before I moved in, it was a bear. They were riddled with sediment and the break down of the metal from the inside of the pipes. I had to replace the pipe from street to house in order to increase water pressure. I was at an advantage since my house is above grade. Still there was no way to save them nor did I want to.

Where is the shut off valve for the tub and how hard is it to replace the whole unit, shower and faucets in the tub. I have the tile slated to be torn down and replaced in Jan so opening the wall is no big deal. I'm just afraid my hot water pressure is not going to make it until then.

I don't have a shut off valve for my tub. If I am doing work I turn it off at the street for safety.

Also I have bit of rot in front of the tub--is there a way I can guage how bad the rot is without lifting the tub?

If your house is above grade you can crawl under and take a look. If not you can try using a water meter. My experice if it reads high the rot will be pretty bad, but I am not there so I am just guessing.

Help.
Good luck!!
weatherboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weatherboi For This Useful Post: