View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #11
Kimbo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Eligible Butchelor

Kimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
If you have galvanized pipes, the problem with your low pressure water could be the pipes themselves. When they rot, the rot from the inside in. Thus, you won't see any damage until you cut the pipe open...at which point, you'll see all the rot clogging up the pipe. I had this in a house once. And it was the hot water pipes. I started in the bathtub, and ended up replacing all the pipes...allllllllll the way to the street. It was a nightmare.

For the rot in front of the tub: If you're planning on replacing it anyways, you can always try to old "If you can stab a screwdriver through it, it's rotten" test. But that only works if A) you don't have tile, and B) you're already planning on replacing any linoleum (or whatever else you've got on top of the subfloor).

Dylan...hates plumbing
I hate plumbing too!!

This is actually my fear, Dylan. I've been warned about galvanized plumbing a lot. I've also been warned about the knob and tube electrical in the house. It's a 1942 house that I have very little attachement too.

I am not fixing the house up for my pleasure and am trying to put as little financially into it, I want to put it on the market--this is my last year in Seattle. Chances are someone will buy this house and rip it a part or even rip it down and put a bigger house on the property.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I really need to give in and crawl under the house--not my favorite thing to do. I know I have new copper coming in from the street, I need to get under there and see if I can find some of this stuff, but now I know a few things to look for.
Kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote