View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #44
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Maybe I live a boring middle class life, but most people I know with kids do NOT live near their parents, so they are raising their kids more or less on their own. Not ideal, but common.

Nor do they necessarily live near siblings, cousins and dear friends. Many -- no, most -- have moved for jobs or spouse's jobs. So weddings almost always mean travel. My friends, whom I met in real time, when we all lived in the same town(s), now live all over the United States. The closest relative I have is seven hours away.

For many many people, serious back-up child-care -- the kind you trust your kids with overnight or for a couple of days -- is not down the street with an extended family member.

Leaving your young children overnight or for two nights with someone you are paying. . . . really iffy. And leaving your kids with friends for that length of time is a big BIG favor.

Traveling with kids is difficult. Traveling without them is often almost impossible.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post: