Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,662 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella View Post
So, just out of curiosity...would you call someone a dyke if she were a girly-girl, 'high-femme'?

I'm from the old school, and in my day the word 'dyke' was used for women who, from their attire and aggressive demeanor usually attributed to males, were thought of as 'butch', but more commonly called 'dyke'. The word, usually uttered by straights, was meant to be derisive and offensive - that is why I don't like the word. However, these days I'm seeing that the 'd' word is being applied to all or most lesbians no matter how they i.d.

Comments anyone?
Welcome cinderella!

I am old school as well and remember the term dyke as being an insult from straight people as well.

These days, for me, using the term dyke to describe myself is a pride thing - an acknowledgment of the struggles of the past, a celebration of our history, and a reminder of how much we have overcome. A solidarity thing perhaps.

I try not to use terms for anyone these days...partly cuz I dont know what the terms even are anymore. Since Toyota recalled my gaydar, I cant even distinguish the lesbians from the non lesbians....tho Im pretty sure if I think someone is, they arent.

Anyway welcome and I promise not to call you by the d word.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post: