The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfMadeMan View Post
It is not someone’s fault if they succeeded, it is someone’s fault if they failed. If you don’t have a job, and you’re not rich, blame yourself
– Herman Cain

Mr. Cain - the unemployment rate in the US is a statistic made up of individuals ACTUALLY LOOKING FOR JOBS. It's right around 8% right now. This means that 8% of the Americans that desperately WANT a job can’t get a job. So please enlighten me, how exactly is that THEIR fault? If you lose it all because your employer terminates thousands of jobs, and yours happens to be one of those jobs, and because of that, you lose your home, your life savings, and consequently, your credit rating falls in the crapper, please explain to me how that is YOUR fault? This is the pitfall of the blatantly ignorant ideology of Herman Cain, and the majority of the Tea Party & far right supporters touting him as the next big thing. They would like us not to believe that environment, the economy, and big government matter - that big corporations & government aren't accountable at all. They would like us to believe that it is the individual - the ones losing their homes, losing it all and suffering, because they CAN'T get a job, who are at fault. It's bullshit - and it needs to be called out as such. /rant
Totally agree with your rant. But would like to point out that the unemployment rate is 9.1% (source: Google Public Data) (just to be an annoying nit-pick )

ETA: I decided to see what California was: 12% New York State, on the other hand, is 8%

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote