View Single Post
Old 10-22-2014, 04:13 PM   #19
Happy_Go_Lucky

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Butch who desires femme company.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Handsome devil you.

Thanked 3,359 Times in 626 Posts
Happy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST ReputationHappy_Go_Lucky Has the BEST Reputation

Meet Doctor Joanne Liu

The amazingly courageous woman who leads Doctors Without Borders

A Canadian physician who risks her life to save the world.

"A rare visible minority in a city that was and is overwhelmingly white, Dr. Liu, 48, was bullied mercilessly in grade school, from minor teasing to racist taunts and pushes and punches. “It shapes your mind, consciously or unconsciously. When I was young, I would tell myself it’s not because I’m different I won’t be as good. I always made a huge deal of being good at everything. That’s how I coped with it. You react by overperforming, or underperforming.”

Inspired by reading Camus’s The Plague and Jean-Pierre Willem’s memoir of working in Afghanistan in the 1980s, Dr. Liu decided in her early teens she would become a physician who treats the world’s poorest patients. She trained at McGill University and obtained specialties in pediatrics and emergency medicine with those goals in mind.

In 1993, when she was doing an internship in intensive care at Sainte-Justine, her supervising physician, Dr. Joaquim Miro, invited her to her first MSF meeting. Three years later, she would complete her first mission to a refugee camp in Mauritania...

She went on to serve in war zones such as Afghanistan and the Democratic Republic of Congo and other disaster zones, such as Haiti after the 2010 earthquake. She’s frequently been under fire over the years, has slept with boots on for a quick escape, and worked undercover in Syria in the past year to avoid being kidnapped."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle21183104/