Old 11-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #66
stepfordfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Femme-inist.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female ones :)
Relationship Status:
I really really like someone.

stepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputation
Default If we want to talk patriarchy....

I have wanted to change my legal name for years.

My legal last name is my father's last name. My mothers last name is her maiden name she reclaimed after their divorce. My mother and I were both victims of family violence. BUT...

Because I am legally a child born of a marriage --when I went to petition for a name change --I must not only publicize it locally, I must also stand before a judge and let it stand for any members of the public to object.

At the time, I lived in the same small town as my father so I was afraid to spend all that money to do so, and have him kill my name change so easily.

It's very personal, but to me my next legal name will be my "family" name. It will be symbolic of a commitment to both my partner and my future children. It's about unification to me personally.

I don't care whether it's mixed, mashed, my partners or chosen as something new. I want to let go of my given name and it's both easier and a conscious choice.