theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,864 Times in 2,473 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Hey there Koop and fellows,

Koop, I know you and I have chatted in person and PMs about this, but I thought I might post some more info on my experience for the other guys who might be considering doing this. I had my surgery one year ago, as of this coming May 4th.

1) How many surgeons did you consult before deciding who was going to do your surgery? Only one. I was referred to Dr. Voloshin (Newport Beach, CA) by another FTM friend of mine who also lives here in Vegas. I felt instantly comfortable with Dr. V and his team. I feel like I also got a very good price since I had the referral from my buddy. Like Koop, I never had any "letters" for either T or top surgery. At age 48, when I had the procedure, I didn't feel like I needed anyone else to vouch for who I am, or as a "gatekeeper" for what I knew I needed to do. Mind you, I do realize and understand how therapy can help guys who might have other issues to address, but I really don't think that it's necessary for everyone.

2) Who did your surgery? Dr. P. James Voloshin, Newport Beach, CA.

3) Are you happy with the results? YES!!! Dr. V did a phenomenal job!! I can (and do) feel comfortable enough to go shirtless in public if I want to.

4) Did you need any revisions? No.

5) What procedure did you have? Double incision with nipple grafts.

6) What was your recovery process like? I live in Vegas, so I had to stay in a hotel (Tabs and I stayed at the Ayres in Orange) for about 4 days. After a recheck, we were able to return to Vegas. I had drains, but those were removed 2 days post op. I just took it easy afterwards. I can't say that it hurt as much as it was just "uncomfortable". After having both knees replaced, this all was pretty much a piece of cake for me.

7) Did you do anything to prepare for the surgery? I just ate well and drank plenty of WATER (not soda or sugar drinks or coffee, but WATER). I moved around and did as much walking as I possibly could. I napped a lot, too. I should say that Dr. V didn't mind letting me return to Vegas within a few days because I have good medical backup here, should I have run into problems. My VA doctor, who is also Queer, was fully aware and supportive of what I was doing and was standing by, in case anything might have happened.

8) How much time did you have to take off work? I took 6 weeks, but I didn't really need that much. I have a physical job so I took a little extra time with that in mind.

9) Is there anything you wish you would have done any differently? No.

10) What questions did you ask the surgeon? I asked about his qualifications and asked to see pictures of the work he'd done for others. I also asked about his team and facility, since he has an all-in-one accredited surgical suite. This is important. If you go to a doctor who does the entire procedure in his own facility, make sure it is ACCREDITED. A lot goes into the process of accreditation, like how they clean their equipment and handle their drugs and anesthetic drugs...and the qualifications of those administering them. Not all of these plastic surgeons use hospital facilities, so if they don't, you need to be asking about accreditation and where you might end up, should an emergency occur and you need to be hospitalized. The Long Beach VAMC, in case of emergency, was also right down the street from his office and is part of my VISN, where I also work. I felt very comfortable, all the way around, with Dr. V.

11) What didn't you ask that you wish you would have? Nothing.

12) what resources did you use in helping to decide what surgeon to go to or for what questions to ask? Personal referrence was my greatest tool, in the form of my friend, Caidyn, who also lives here in Vegas and has family in Newport Beach who also know Dr. Voloshin's reputation for outstanding work.

13) What online resources do you know of? Probably nothing more or less than the ones everyone else uses....Transster, TransitionalMale, etc.

Hope this helps.

Good luck to all the fellows here who are or are contemplating taking this step. It totally made all the difference for me in my level of confidence and towards feeling more whole.

~Theo~