Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,662 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephfromMIT View Post
Kobi-Sorry if I wasn't clear. I only mean that I'll be a supportive prescence for the LGBT students I'll be teaching. I feel that being "closeted" implies a shame at being gay. I feel *no* shame in being true to who I am. Young people are looking for role models, and if I can be that, I'd feel bad about rejecting that opportunity.

I understand the intent, I am just having trouble picturing the way or ways in which you intend to be fully out. Do you mean announcing to the entire class that you are <insertpreferencehere>? Or to just be you and answer honestly if someone asks? Or to be supportive of students who might disclose that they are queer? Or something else?

I was never closeted in the workplace or anywhere else. Trust me, it would be hard to mistake me for anything but a queer. Among my collegues it never occured to me to not mention my girfriend or to call my partner she or any other behavior that would deny who I was.

It was different with clients. Again, I would never deny it but as with any inquiries as to my personal life, there was a therapeutic way to handle it.

Like spritzer said, it was and is more important to me, in the workplace or elsewhere, to be seen for the person or the woman I am than it is to be seen for the queer I am.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post: