How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

you forgot:

All lesbians have short hair/are butch

While there are some women who look more masculine than others, the general lesbian population looks pretty much like the general female population. Some have short hair, some have long, some wear makeup, some don't.

You can tell which women are lesbians and which aren't just by looking at them
I hate to break it to the masses, but there is no set of signs or mannerisms that identify lesbians to the general public. There are a select few women who are noticeably gay, usually identifiable by the rainbow stickers on their cars or the pink triangles on their lapels, but most of us look like everybody else. Many gay people claim that they can spot other gay people by using a special power called "gaydar," but for the most part there is no way to know for sure. It would be handy for me if there were some way to pick lesbians out of the crowd in order to avoid the embarrassing situation of crushing out on a straight woman, but until we figure out some kind of universal secret handshake, getting to know people and finding out the old-fashioned way (prying) is the only surefire method.

We can change and be straight if we want to (because it's a choice)
Conversely, straight people can become gay if they really want to. Try suggesting this to someone like George W. Bush or Dr. Laura and see what happens. In my opinion, sexual orientation is not a choice any more than height and eye color are. True, some gay people try to mask their orientation and attempt to be straight. Some people wear lifts and tinted contacts, too.
Putting anyone into a box based solely on sexual orientation, or skin color, or religion isn't fair. Keep in mind that people are incredibly diverse and have a lot more going for them than any one aspect. I think that all of us should make it our goal this year to make friends with one person who's very different than us (I'’ll be on the lookout for a right wing republican straight male). I'll bet that all of us will find ourselves pleasantly surprised, and be the better for it.

SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post: