EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Yes, more respected surgeons are becoming open to operating on genderqueer individuals. For example, although Garramone still requires a letter, he is very welcoming to genderqueer individuals. His letter only requires the therapist to say that the surgery "is the next step in the transition process" (or something close to that...hell, how do you think I got him to operate on me? ).

Of course, you could always find a surgeon who didn't follow the Standards of Care and didn't require a letter, but historically the surgeons whose results were desired required letters.

Like I said, things are rapidly, very rapidly changing.

As an aside, who did your surgery, EnderD?
I had my surgery with Dr. McLean in Mississauga (Ontario, Canada). He's probably the best known top surgeon here and has been performing top surgery since the 80s. He also didn't require a letter. All he asked was a few questions about how I identified, how long since I'd come out, transition etc. and then gave me all the info I needed about preparation, risks etc. He seemed more concerned about making sure I was making an informed decision than he was about identity. Much more refreshing than going through CamH where you run the risk of getting a shit shrink who makes you jump through hoops, and in comparison to those I know who got it through them, I thought McLean was a lot more professional and cautious about both the surgery and the follow-ups.

Personally, I was very satisfied with the results and was also glad that he didn't use drains (one of the reasons I chose him). He was also really thorough about follow-ups and scar treatment.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post: