View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #50
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

By Tuesday, I will have had seven full days of meetings at six different locations. Blah. Tired and losing steam, and I haven't done a lick of work to actually prepare to do my job.

We listened to an executive from a major -- MAJOR -- tech company talk to us today. She had NOTHING new to say except that tech needs prepared grads. No shit.

The free pastries don't even make me feel better anymore. I never thought I'd turn my nose up at an apricot danish.

One funny funny awesome thing was that they got an eighth grader who looked more like a 10 year old get up and give us a pep talk. The kid was ON FIRE. I mean amazing. Sweet, funny, real, and just so good at public speaking. We all wanted to adopt him.

I saw my classroom. Pretty much a pit. Starting from scratch again. Whine.

Oh and I don't care how nice they are in real life and how much better they are than the asshole at the other school, all administrators suck. They are so cavalier about the things that matter to you. Re a much needed printer so that we won't have to disturb another class to pick up our printing, she says, "OH, I think D was going to order that. He said he was. But I think he forgot." No phone service -- again we have to interrupt another class. No computers yet. No passwords for the web application to create IEPs. No keys ordered. Re the fact that there are NO translators for Special Education (for IEP's), she is just like, oh well. There are only two for the entire -- large -- district. Yes, we put kids first. Sigh. I was so enthusiastic until the endless days of meetings beat me down and until I saw what it looks like on the ground. What gets me about this administrator is that she used to be a Sped teacher. What happens to them when they get that degree and move into Administration? Body snatched or something.

And our union is sooo in love with administration. I have never been anywhere like that. Today was my first day with veteran teachers, and . . . oh well, it's just like anyplace else. You have to fight to be able to do your job. Any other profession, your bosses understand it's their job to give you the tools and the information you need to perform.

I remember once asking a principal for a teacher's edition of a textbook. His response: "Good luck with that."
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post: