View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #54
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Queer (gender), female (biological marker)
Preferred Pronoun?:
she will work as a default.
Relationship Status:
*engaged to jac* until 8/10/14

Thanked 15,802 Times in 2,905 Posts
spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
By Tuesday, I will have had seven full days of meetings at six different locations. Blah. Tired and losing steam, and I haven't done a lick of work to actually prepare to do my job.
By far one of the worst things about prep days, the lack of prep!

We listened to an executive from a major -- MAJOR -- tech company talk to us today. She had NOTHING new to say except that tech needs prepared grads. No shit. Why am I not shocked? I've yet to listen to a business person say something not redundant or self serving when talking to teachers.

The free pastries don't even make me feel better anymore. I never thought I'd turn my nose up at an apricot danish. LMAO! probably no actual fruit in it!

One funny funny awesome thing was that they got an eighth grader who looked more like a 10 year old get up and give us a pep talk. The kid was ON FIRE. I mean amazing. Sweet, funny, real, and just so good at public speaking. We all wanted to adopt him. And finally inspiration for why you are really there.

I saw my classroom. Pretty much a pit. Starting from scratch again. Whine. Rebuild the temple.

Oh and I don't care how nice they are in real life and how much better they are than the asshole at the other school, all administrators suck. They are so cavalier about the things that matter to you. Re a much needed printer so that we won't have to disturb another class to pick up our printing, she says, "OH, I think D was going to order that. He said he was. But I think he forgot." No phone service -- again we have to interrupt another class. No computers yet. No passwords for the web application to create IEPs. No keys ordered. Re the fact that there are NO translators for Special Education (for IEP's), she is just like, oh well. There are only two for the entire -- large -- district. Yes, we put kids first. Sigh. I was so enthusiastic until the endless days of meetings beat me down and until I saw what it looks like on the ground. What gets me about this administrator is that she used to be a Sped teacher. What happens to them when they get that degree and move into Administration? Body snatched or something. Mandatory Administrative Lobotomy may explain it. And you know there is no reason for late paperwork right? Yes you can kick me...

And our union is sooo in love with administration. I have never been anywhere like that. Today was my first day with veteran teachers, and . . . oh well, it's just like anyplace else. You have to fight to be able to do your job. Any other profession, your bosses understand it's their job to give you the tools and the information you need to perform.

I remember once asking a principal for a teacher's edition of a textbook. His response: "Good luck with that."
Thank you for the preview of my week next week.
Today I had lunch with 2 coworkers. We discussed our plans for regular support meetings. Whatever it takes to keep our focus on the kids.
spritzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post: