Old 01-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #58
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_G View Post
I emailed the Serenity now link to a friend of mine....because we have had discussions along this line before. She emailed me back and asked which type of communication she felt I used and what kind I thought she used.

When I messaged her back, I said I see myself as a passive communicator and her as an aggressive communicator. Shit hit the fan! I didn't say that ALL of the things that describe that type of communication described her, yet she proceeded to tell me that if she is ANY of the things on that list to me, that I don't need her in my life. WTF?!

She also proceeded to ask me which she was; verbally or physically abusive towards me. I said neither....that is not one of the things I thought fit her that was under the "aggressive communication" list.

Now, she is pissed and offended. I thought that sharing the link with her would be a great topic of conversation for us to engage in. Guess not.

I don't know if I should try to discuss this any more with her or just let it go and let her be pissed. This is one of those times when I feel like I should not have said anything, but then I would have been being passive instead of trying to discuss something I thought we could talk about without something like this happening.
This is the primary challenge that I have in communicating with aggressive communicators...because, in my experience, they don't hear feedback as feedback and a topic for discussion...but as criticism or an attack that they must defend against.

I think Gemme's advice is good...and I hope it works for you.

For me, the longer I live, the more tired I am of tip-toeing around aggressive communicators while they are stomping all over me. I prefer to spend my time with those who will really have a discussion.

These days...I tend to say "I intended this as something we could talk about...not as an attack on you. When and if you want to talk...I'd be happy to." And then I walk away (physically and/or emotionally).

It isn't the best technique, I know...but at this point it's all I can do.

Best of luck.