Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Everything Always2late stated about nursing being difficult, working holidays and nights as a new RN is true. I have wrestled with assaultive patients and was once punched in the eye, breaking my glasses by a mentally challenged young woman. However, if you can get through that very hard first year or two; the world of nursing opens up and gives you many more choices.

What is also true is that I have had many excellent opportunities as a career RN.

I have supported my children, on my own, as a nurse. I have worked in hospitals, first on med-surg on the PM shift, then in home health. I have been a charge nurse, nurse manager and now, in this last stage of my career, I work for an insurance company. I no longer work crazy shifts, have to work holidays, weekends or get assaulted.

To me, there are not a lot of careers than can give you first, second and third act careers; all within the same license and degree.

I feel very blessed that I stuck it out when it was at its most difficult because now I can look back on the last 31 years of my nursing career with satisfaction, pride and joy! I am so glad that I became a nurse.

Girllikeu2, go for it if that if that is what you want to do! I have never regretted being a nurse. Ever. No matter the capacity in which you work, you are helping patients in their lowest moment, time when reaching out a hand can mean everything to a person losing hope in life. What a gift to be able to give another.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post: