View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #20
Butterbean

How Do You Identify?:
----
Preferred Pronoun?:
----

Thanked 2,220 Times in 772 Posts
Butterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST ReputationButterbean Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

My mom passed away from complications of Type 2 diabetes. My dad (also passed away due to an accident) had some type of Type 1 diabetes that I don't exactly understand? He never took any type of insulin but his eating as a child was a constant fight with his mother. As an adult, the doctors at the hospital would put him on special diets that would outrage him and he'd make us bring him food.

My dad was Ojibway. His father, my gramps, had Type 2 diabetes. He loved his diet sodas and sugar free ice cream bars. His mother, my great grandmother also had Type 2 diabetes. There is quite an issue with Type 2 diabetes among American Indians and I've read some theories...one that interests me the most concerns the introduction of bread and dairy products to their diet, which may be the root cause. At any rate, I don't know what the diabetes issue was with my dad exactly.

I'm 43 and I'm not diabetic yet...even with that family history. I didn't bother listing all the uncles, aunts and cousins....About 2 years ago, a doctor said to me "So you don't have diabetes yet?"

I laughed and said "yet" but was amused at her candor...Well, she became all embarrassed and was thinking more outloud to herself and apologized profusely.

But basically I have always just assumed it would arrive eventually. Fast fowarding up to this past January, I had an emergency double bowel obstruction surgery. Because the obstruction was on both ends, they had to remove two parts of my intestines.

Life has been different ever since that surgery. Because parts of my intestines are removed, I malabsorb anything I eat. I am on prescriptions for B-12, D, Iron, and B-6. They also have me on Culturelle, a super potency B, 4x the usual daily vitamins and 4x the calcium.

That's all cool. The part that sucks is I was also diagnosed with hypoglycemia....because I malabsorb fat and sugar just like I do with vitamins.

They advised me this may be early diabetes exhibiting this way....but due to the timing feel fairly certain it is a side effect of the surgery.

I have a blood testing machine and bottles of glucose tabs all over. I was also told for the "time being" to use candy bars to keep myself feeling good. But was told to eat equal amounts of proteins and carbs at meals. This is the part that is difficult for me. I was also told to eat 4-6 small meals a day. This is the part that is even more difficult for me.

I probably hit blood levels of 40 and 50, 5-15 times a week. One thing that helps is that I get a literal "rush" right before it happens so I know. It's similiar to an aura.

The highest I could ever get my blood sugar back up was 280 by eating 3 glucose tabs, food and then sitting on my butt for awhile. Usually, even after a glucose tab and meal, it only swings up to about 160. When it's all behaving it generally hovers around 98-114.

So that's my long winded story about whey I'm here even though I don't have diabetes. LOL
Butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Butterbean For This Useful Post: