View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #46
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I believe a lot of our housing choices going forward are going to be dictated by the economy. It is already been pointed out here that a "living" wage is getting harder and harder to come by. Whether is it adult children moving back in with their parents, or parents in their later years moving in with their children.

There are some other strategies being floated out there such as the Northern European concept of co-housing. There are a few of these communities being built here in the states, primarily in the west, and it is interesting to watch. These come in many forms be they small village type communities with people and families of all ages, or what is being built in my community right now which is more like a co-op/condo set up specifically as an elder co-housing community.

In an earlier post I spoke a little bit about multigenerational housing and how a lot of it is showing up on my own Main street. Shrinking wages or shrinking hours and benefits on higher wage jobs combined with what in some areas are absolutely bizarre real estate prices, something has to give. Right now a 3bd/2ba home on my street starts at $750K. Generally speaking, it takes more than two wage earners to pay that kind of mortgage.

The original premise of this thread was more towards irresponsible children looking for a free or partial ride. I'm glad that some people have stepped in to provide a variety of viewpoints. I think the other side of that coin is going to be seen as irresponsible parents, non-savers or those who could not, as well as some folks who had their financial ass handed to them just a few years ago and don't have enough time to make up for it, looking for a partial or full ride from their family in their elderly years. In that situation there's little hope that the elderly parent is going to be getting off their butt and finding gainful employment.

I don't have any answers, I am just looking out our economy as it stands and looking for some of those answers. I suspected shared housing and pooled resources in a wide range of formats will start playing more of a role in this country in the coming years.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post: