Esme nha Maire

How Do You Identify?:
Tomboyish eccentric antique femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 2,089 Times in 541 Posts
Esme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Thank you for all your posts. It seems like many of us may see an undeniable design in the universe. To me, it’s unfathomable that someone or something isn’t responsible for it. There are just too many connections, perfect moments, and strong feelings. I really don’t think a random roll of the dice could make our world the way that it is and how we feel it.
This business of design or otherwise in the universe is something that I have pondered quite a bit over the years. My understanding of science is sufficient that I am aware of some of the pitfalls that the unwary, or less well up on science, often fall into. The sheer size and complexity of the universe boggles the human brain, and allows plenty of room for random chance to produce strings of coincidences that may give the impresion of a guiding force behind them.

And I wonder at Creationists who on the one hand, claim to believe in an all-powerful god in one breath, then in the next, dare to set limits on god by saying that god could not possibly have created a universe in which evolution is a thing., when what I suspect they probably mean is that they cannot understand how god could manage such a thing, which is hardly surprising, what with god being so much greater than we are, by definition, in anyone's faith.

For years, having rejected the religion I was raised in, I had only science and my sense of wonder. And then it came to me that that sense of wonder in me, my joy at finding out about the universe and the gift of being here to try to understand it all - it makes me happy. I have faith, and that makes me happy. My religion, such as it is, is simply that which makes me happy with regard to expressing my wonder at being a part of this glorious, awe-inspiring universe. Religion, to me, should make people happy, or what is the point of it?

And for a while that was enough for me, but then I had another insight - if there's one thing that seems to be writ large in the universe for all to see, it is this - co-operation works. Things and beings in concert achieve more than things alone, whether one considers fundamental particles collecting together to form ever more complex structures, and the forces of nature at the most fundamental levels, or whether one considers animal and human societies. Co-operation works. Our civilisation would not exist without co-operation. Our very bodies would not exist without co-operation, nor would the atoms of which our bodies are made.

Yes, i am aware that I have stretched the meaning of the word "co-operation" somewhat further than I should, as there is no consciousness in fundamental particles or simple cellular life, and, too, I am aware of the anthropocentric-ness of my reasoning, as a universe in which stuff can't clump together and form complexity is one in which we could not exist to have this discusssion.

All I know is that, emotionally, this is how I feel - that written into the fundamentals of existence is "co-operation works". That is all the sign that I need from deity. This makes me happy. I do not know if the universe - god - cares about me, but it is a universe in which people coming together to help each other works better for people than everyone being selfish and attacking each other. This makes me happy. It is enough for me. If it is her will that I co-operate with others to help make them happier, and they with me, why, I am more than happy to comply.

Godess is awesome.

May she smile upon you, each and every one.
Esme nha Maire is offline   Reply With Quote