Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
He’s my One & Only

Thanked 32,009 Times in 9,947 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Years later: A water news update for 2024.

Time has passed slowly since I first became acquainted with issues concerning impending water crises— locally, nationally or even at international levels of interest.

Here in the immediate area of my home state of Oregon, the ongoing fight for water resources between farmers and indigenous populations has only been reported on from the perspective of saving fish runs to certain rivers and dams (Kalamath, etc), but had we not gotten a late winter snow storm in early March, we might have drinking water issues in the metro area of our state’s largest populated areas. I know we have schools across the pdx area that still have lead pipes which contaminates fresh water supplies but that is one of many water concerns in our local area.

At a national level, I’ve lost track of former but relatively recent water issues. I know there are critical issues out there but it is not getting the press coverage it needs to warn people of the dire consequences of not taking care of our water infrastructure.

Here is a recent report I learned about originally on CNN, but investigated on my own and came up with the headline story on water troubles for those who live in Mexico.

LINK: https://water.org/our-impact/where-we-work/mexico/

Here is a few frightening details about the water crisis Mexicans face:

A) In general, millions of people do not have access to clean water.

B). In the countries’ capital, Mexico City— which has a population of 127 million, 72 million do not have access to clean water. And, 47 million do not have access to a toilet.

C). Mexico City, by summer, will not have any trickle of any water supply. They have a crippled water and crippled sanitation situation driven by extreme drought and a barren economy which leaves the Mexican population in extreme crisis because they can’t truck in clean water nor do they have a plan to get their ongoing water crises addressed by summer.

Here is an updated news report from a water agency:

https://americasquarterly.org/articl...into-politics/

I’m guessing Maude Barlow has got to be Canada’s superhero by now because years ago she helped steer Canadian interests by making sure water rights in Canada were designated as a human right so no foreign interest could claim their natural water reserves as theirs. Thereby, protecting the interests of humans who live in Canada. America has yet to adopt Canadian standards for water rights and to protect clean water sources from foreign interests. Mexico is in serious trouble with lack of clean water and sanitation services. America might be next on the horizon of the “water wars” Maude Barlow referenced years ago.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: