Old 06-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #222
Gayla
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky Butch Top
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm not picky
Relationship Status:
She makes me dance like a fool and forget how to breathe.

Thanked 7,078 Times in 1,966 Posts
Gayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST Reputation

Thinking about this from the standpoint of reclaiming language and using various words in context.

For me, there are words that I use in reference to myself that I know other people find offensive. As someone else mentioned, the girls I work with used to get upset when I called myself a duke or queer because they've always seen those as bad words. I use them because they are the most relevant to me and most of them now use them when talking about me, "My dyke friend at work says it's ok for me to go to the parade as long as I don't cringe at the queer boys in leather."

I know a number of people who don't like most of the words I use. I've lost count of the number of people who think "butch" is an insult. As a matter of respect, I don't use those words when talking about them but I'm not going to use different words to describe me just because I'm around them. My friend J is a lesbian. Not a duke and not butch and really not queer. So I would never refer to her as any of those things bit it doesn't mean that I have to stop calling myself a dyke when I'm around her.
Gayla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gayla For This Useful Post: