How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

we aren't doing anything special here that i know of. our youth group meetings have been kinda sporadic since school started back up.

for me i find that i don't feel as strongly (or in the same way) about coming out as a lot of people i've talked to because of cultural differences. i did a lot of safe space panels in college and i always felt out of place because i didn't have the quintessential "really great" or "really awful" coming out experience and nothing has ever tied up neatly in my life. i had a really mediocre and painful and unresolved coming out experience. and i found that being from a rural, poor, mixed-race background, honestly - being queer was not always the biggest struggle or priority for me. i know a lot of people for whom it is, especially folks who are also from the rural south, specifically because of the isolation, etc. but that wasn't my experience.

i do think it can be really helpful to talk about coming out (not just about being queer, but about all kinds of struggles and identities) because i don't think anyone should ever feel isolated or alone or like they are the only one. i do think people should know that it can get better and you can have community and you can be accepted for who you are. but i also think that that needs to be wedded to a better sensitivity to cultural differences and needs that people have around coming out/not coming out/not prioritizing coming out. and it needs to be wedded to a deeper sense of commitment to (practically and materially) supporting people who face violence, homelessness, etc. for coming out.

so...i like national coming out day. i think it can be good to tell our stories and some of the complex feelings i (and others i know) have about national coming out day can be a good starting off point for deeper discussions about the multiplicity of experiences we have or the changes we want to create.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post: