genghisfawn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme/Gentlewoman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Happily married 05/17/14

Thanked 2,157 Times in 403 Posts
genghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputation

I'm a consultant with a major corporation, and I lead a team of 3-4 IT technicians who build and complete the installations. The guys get along really well and I feel incredibly fortunate that they respect my instructions and decisions, but still keep me in on some of the fun (ex. I will be coming in tomorrow to find the shoes I keep leaving behind bubble wrapped.)

One of the technicians from our client's group came for an afternoon to help us out in exchange for me fetching him from the airport. He followed me out for a cup of coffee and said, "I notice you let the guys chat a lot." I said, "I never see any lack of output in the work... their output is consistent with the algorithms developed around a conservative estimate of individual accomplishment." But I said it with a smile.

He said, "So as long as the work gets done, you don't care?"

Thing is, I've learned how NOT to lead people from some of the worst examples in the business. Managers who controlled your every move, threatened your job and expected dangerous and degrading work to be performed out of scope. On the subtler side, there were managers who didn't respect an employee's knowledge, skill and capabilities. Some managers were sexist or ageist without really meaning to be. Others just could not turn in their parenting hat at the door and wouldn't let employees be themselves - they expected cogs in their machine and they weren't taking any backchat.

So I told the guy, "I do care. I want the work done and I want them happy. If they have a good day at work, I've had a good day at work."

I mean it, too. If they were stressed or unhappy and they quit, I'd be completely sunk! Workplaces need to remember that people are people, first and foremost. They can do awkward things, sometimes get sick or cranky, feel hungry and experience health trouble. Some are very sociable and gain energy from others (like everyone on my team); some are introverted and need to hide to recharge mid-day (like myself). I see their extroversion and I want to make sure they get what they need, so if they flap their gums and nobody's bothered? It helps morale. I, however, tend to leave them for the afternoon and hide in my office to get work done.
genghisfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to genghisfawn For This Useful Post: