Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
I don't make my own dog food but I have made my own dog treats recently. They have few ingredients, making them a healthier alternative to store-bought. Here are a couple of the recipes I found/used:

Pumpkin Peanut Butter Treats
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 large eggs
2/3 cup pumpkin puree, canned or fresh
3 tblsps peanut butter

Preheat oven to 350F. Place all ingredients in mixing bowl and mix on medium with paddle attachment for about a minute. I mixed it by hand and it turned out fine. Dough will form little dough balls. If you pinch a piece and it crumbles, add a little water. If it's sticky, just add a little flour. Gather the dough together and form a ball. Place on lightly floured surface and roll out to about 1/4" thickness. Use a knife to cut squares or strips or a cookie cutter for shapes. Form scraps in to a new ball and roll out again until you've used up all the dough.

Place the cookies on a baking sheet; they can be close together as they won't really expand. Bake 15-20 min. for softer treats or 30 min. for harder treats. Depending on the size of the pieces, could make up to 100 treats if they are about 1" but my cookie cutters weren't that small. They can go in the freezer for up to 6 months and I would recommend storing them that way as there aren't any preservatives to give them much of a "shelf life". Pull a few out of the freezer about 20 min. in advance when you want to give them to your dog.

Basic Dog Biscuits
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (reg. flour or oats can be substituted)
1 egg
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. beef or chicken bouillon granules, or beef/chicken broth/stock
1/2 cup hot water
Optional Add-ins: bacon, eggs, liver powder, wheat germ, shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 350F. Dissolve bouillon in hot water. Add remaining ingredients. Knead dough until it forms a ball (approx. 3 minutes). Roll dough until 1/2" thick. Cut into slices or use cookie cutter. Place dough pieces on lightly greased cookie sheet (I think I omitted this step and it was ok). Cook for 30 min.
Thank you so much Penelope. What a great idea.

“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.”
― Rumi

Sun is offline   Reply With Quote