Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Female/Lesbian/half the athlete I used to be
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,168 Posts
Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation

I have the kind of migraine that looks like I am having a stroke. My speech
becomes very garbled and some parts of my face look droopy. I have gotten better at reading people (based on that OMG look that comes across their face as I am trying to talk) I think I sound fine. Recovery for me/from one of these is about 4 days.

I have photophobia, and I had a neuro opthomologist make a rigid contact lens with prisms in it to deflect lights. That helps alot. I wear sunglasses at night baseball games because the scoreboard makes me sick. Never, not once has anyone asked why I am wearing sunglasses when it's 11p.m. (only at a sporting event I swear) I can get aura's as much as a week in advance and still do not always recognize that they are aura's. When I get the kalediscope, I know that is a migraine knocking on the door and I take treximet (they call it rescue medicine) to me, it's like drinking a 2 litre bottle of Mt dew. I guess everyone reacts differently. I also have chronic
phonophobia and I can not take smells....i/e second hand cigarette smoke,
overly strong perfumes or colognes.....some times the coast deoderant soap sitting in the shower soap dish. I have a couple of medicines that I am trying to take each night before I go to sleep, but do to a reverberation injury to my thalamus (in the center of my brain) I can not tolerate medicines. I take *baby strength doseages* and am constantly having my platelets checked to ensure the medicines are not eating up the platelets. Weird how the body all works.

The insurance companys (they need to stay out of any medical regulating) will only let you have 12 rescue meds a month. I can use 12 on one head ache. They are not pain medication. No schedule class is attached to it.
I have learned to not go near an emergency room with this type of migraine. They admit you and start treating you for TIA (symptons do present very similar) and then you get that nice bill.....so thats why you have to be able to recognize that OMG look people get, because they'll call
for ems with out you knowing. I wear a really nice gold medical alert braclet (purchased from a jewelry store) with my personal web siite engraved on the back so medical people can see what the heck as per my
highly specialized (and highly regarded neurologist). My heart hurts for anyone who has any form of migraines.
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post: