View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Thanked 4,133 Times in 1,079 Posts
Thinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oopster View Post
Hey there guys!

I thought it might be nice to have a thread specifically related to this topic.

I have an initial consultation with Dr. Voloshins office on monday.

Here are the questions I have for you?

1) How many surgeons did you consult before deciding who was going to do your surgery?
2) Who did your surgery?
3) Are you happy with the results?
4) Did you need any revisions?
5) What procedure did you have?
6) What was your recovery process like?
7) Did you do anything to prepare for the surgery?
8) How much time did you have to take off work?
9) Is there anything you wish you would have done any differently?
10) What questions did you ask the surgeon?
11) What didn't you ask that you wish you would have?
12) what resources did you use in helping to decide what surgeon to go to or for what questions to ask?
13) What online resources do you know of?

If you aren't comfortable posting in public I would love to hear from you in private.
1. I only met with one, and we were a great match for one another.
2. Marc DuPere in Toronto
3. Very!
4. Nope
5. Double incision w/ nipple grafts
6. I stayed in bed as much as I could for the first week, and had my bandages & stitches removed at the one-week mark. I did NOT have drains. I didn't do anything that required my arms to come up above shoulder-height for probably about two weeks. After that, I started to expand that range of motion ever so slightly. Of course, I took my antibiotics as instructed and stayed well hydrated. I rested as much as possible.

7. I did a LOT to prepare for surgery! I did a great deal of stretching, push-ups, and upper body exercises about 3 months out and leading up to the surgery. I also started on Arnica and vitamin C about 10 days out. The Arnica helps minimize bruising and speeds healing; vitamin C was to keep me from getting sick. I drank lots and lots of water......no aspirin, ibuprofen, alcohol, etc... about one week out.

I also stared at my bare chest in the mirror every single day for a couple of weeks to see if I could live with it. I wanted to be absolutely one hundred percent sure that I would not regret the surgery. No regrets.

8. I took off for 3 weeks. I know many who have gone back sooner, but I had the gift of time in that particular position so I took advantage of it. Personally, I'm glad I did.

9. I wish that I would have returned to work to only half-days for the first week. During the first week, I would really start to feel it around 1:00. I would get very fatigued, and I would feel spasms in my back from being so tense and "protective" of my chest.

10. I made absolutely certain that he and I were on the same page about how I wanted my chest to look. I got clear details from him on the procedure and what the recovery would be like on *his* end. I also got his input on supplements and what he thought was best pre- and post-surgery.

11. Can't think of anything
12. I initially found my surgeon on transster and then found someone on the other b/f site who had used him. We exchanged a few messages about his experience. I also found someone on Live Journal who had used him, and we messaged one another as well. (I think transster is down now???) Finally, I talked to my surgeon's office manager a few times to get a feel for what his practice was like......and, ultimately, met with him.

13. Like I said, I think transster is down now (not sure of that), and that some other site has taken its place. And Transitional Male has some good information, as well. Plus, there are no shortages of opinions and experiences right here in the b/f community!!

Hope that helps and GOOD LUCK!!!