View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 09:16 PM   #15
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Thanked 4,133 Times in 1,079 Posts
Thinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Thinker,

Can I ask why you didn't need tubes?

Like is there a special procedure that means you don't need tubes? Or, is it a before-size thing or something?

Would Like To Avoid Tubes,
Dylan
Hey Dylan...

It didn't have anything to do with size; of that I'm sure. I was average sized (basically, a 36-C) and big enough that my only option was the double-incision.

Going into the surgery, the assumption on my part and the part of the surgeon was that drainage tubes would be included. When I first woke up and spoke with the surgeon, I asked him how the tubes were.

He said, "You don't have tubes. I didn't see a need for them."

And that was the end of it.

Since they are for drainage, I can only assume that I was not bleeding heavily at all. I was very good leading up to the surgery in avoiding things that act as blood thinners, and I took Arnica for a few weeks prior. *shrug* Maybe those things contributed.

So... Long story longer... I don't know a specific reason. Perhaps you can ask prospective surgeons in what instances they would opt to refrain from the tubes.

Sorry I can't be of more help than that...