Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

About the SF dog mauling killing and second degree murder conviction (upheld) a few years back. Thye woman killed was Diane Whipple and she was mauled beyond recognition. The owner was found guilty of second degree murder.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2005-05-0...der-conviction

"The appeals court said the evidence showed Knoller had known that the 140- pound Presa Canario that killed Whipple was "a frightening and dangerous animal: huge, untrained and bred to fight."

Does anyone know if negligent homicide is used as a charge in any state?

I am a dog lover and owner and take great pains to socialize my pooches as well as observe leash laws and frankly, I have put down a dog in the past due to aggressive behavior (bit 3 people, one a pregnant woman. Dog was co-owned with a partner and I wanted to put him down after the second bite). Not easy, but, the writing was on the wall to me about him not being safe (100 lb German Shepherd). We did it at our vet's office and both were with him.

I take care of my dogs and take the time for training and well, I interact with them (now, only have one) as family, really. But, I will not keep or bring to a shelter (so that it becomes someone else's problem and remains a threat) an aggressive dog that could pose a danger to people. Unfortunately, some dogs are.

I don't agree with breed stereotypes that surround certain breeds like Pit bulls as I know some that are great dogs and have very responsible owners.

There was just another child mauled and killed here this past week and yesterday another little girl was mauled (she is in stable condition). both incidents were by Pit Bulls. I have certainly heard about maulings about other breeds.

When I see people do dumb things with dogs that can lead to a dog being aggressive, or just not being a responsible dog owner, it makes me mad. Dogs deserve to be nurtured and interacted with... loved and cared for.

I guess I look at this in terms of a dog owner being negligent. So, even though the Whipple case was horrifying and frankly, the dog's owners were a number one assholes and knew the lethality of the dog, I don't know that murder is the correct charge. But, I sure think that criminal charges with some severity in sentencing should be in play. what people are saying about intent makes sense to me. although, in CA intent is only part of the first degree murder charge.

The controversy that we in Northern CA during the Whipple case is going to go full tilt again and the Whipple case set precedent for a murder conviction. Although, the dog that killed the child this past week belonged to the step-father of the child. That might have bearing.

I have no patience at all with people that do not neuter and spay their dogs. Yes, breeders obviously need in-tact dogs. Although, reputable and responsible breeders I know do not let their dogs run all over anyway. These are usually show quality dogs and breeders do not want them to even get in fights at dog parks for fear of scaring, etc. I really don’t care for back-yard breeding. We have enough dogs that are neglected or in shelters.

I so wish that when people decide to get a dog they researched breeds and mixes to determine which ones fit their lifestyle. Also, realize it is a big commitment. I couldn’t live without a pooch, but they are just part of my life. And some people should not have dogs at all.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post: