View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #25
little_ms_sunshyne

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 12,242 Times in 2,540 Posts
little_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputation

I am a Science Teacher as well as the head of my Science Dept. I can see everyone's frustrations with the budget distribution. It is true that the state gives us guidelines as to what our children should be learning. Budgets are affecting how we teach. However, I am fortunate enough to work for a district and principal that believes that we should nurture certain areas in our students academic development. During the summer time, our district applies for as many grants as possible. This last year we were able to purchase 300 laptops for students to check out which include internet cards, symphony concert series tickets, projectors and smartboards for every classroom, IPODS, netbooks, etc. It is quite a bit of technology all made possible by these grants. Also, we received grants for workshops, trainings, and staff developments for our staff.

Recently I had a conversation with our principal about the arts. She has signed our school up for a mural project where kids can nurture their artistic expression. We are hoping that this will not only add a sense of pride in their community but will be an outlet for self expression which they truly struggle with.

In my lessons, I include "Food for the Brain". This is my time to share different things with my student. Some are areas that interest them, others are things that I find interesting to share. Either way, it encourages students to take ownership of their education and that is when the real learning begins I do the best with what I have and differentiated instruction is one of the keys. I could go on and on..lol

In regards to supplies, I always end up stocking up in the summer. I work in an at-risk area and budgets are tight for most families. I try not to add the pressure and supply my kids with what I can. Of course, I am only one person and can do so much but we find a way to make it work. I can honestly say that we try so hard to provide our kids with enriching experiences that they wouldn't have otherwise.

This year I am taking my 5th graders to NASA
Sorry, I get excited when it comes to teaching! I may have strayed from the topic at hand lol
little_ms_sunshyne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to little_ms_sunshyne For This Useful Post: