imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

One of the best movies I've seen on Gen X attitude was "Slackers" - conspiracy theory, disillusioned, independent and slightly grumpy, non-religious. Douglas Coupland did a fantastic book about this in "Life After God" as one of the majour things affecting GenX was the constant impending threat of nuclear war. I remember the bomb sirens being tested every so often on a sunday. I remember Peace Day (now earth day) when 80,000 people marched across the lions gate bridge against warheads. Carl Sagan's Cosmos series warning people to treasure the earth, AIDs information packs being given to us at highschool in sex ed (age 14).

I used to wake up, frozen, literally unable to move I was so scared, waiting for the "wave" to hit me when thunder woke me up. Once planes zoomed low over the house to drop antimoth spray at 4am and I had the same reaction, heart in my throat. I couldn't stop shaking after I could move and I realised it was the spray team.

I no longer dream of nuclear war and AIDs. It stopped when I was about 26/7. The world seemed a bit safer, I guess.

Movies - When The Wind Blows, Threads, Wargames... it was a very, very big deal. It affected a lot of our psyches. What was the point of anything if we are all going to be blown to shit? at anytime? All those warheads and missile silos... what happened to them? what happened to the peace agreements? where did all the protesters go?

I honestly didn't think I was going to make 30 when I was a teen.
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post: