Old 11-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #48
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Goofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
Under the DADT discharge from the military, are people stripped of things like being able to utilize education grants/loans, home loan programs, VA health benefits, military service pensions?

There are things on top of a person being forced out of the military via DADT having to give up a career that I am wondering about. Are there differences in "honrable" discharges for our members that have served and leaving under DADT that are just not publicized to the general public?

Also wondering about how targets of DADT get treated when utilizing things on military bases they are entitled to, if the paperwork in DADT discharges is on the up and up. Just can't help thinking that so much of this ends up with our folks getting a double whammy.

This is so damn hard when someone believes deeply in the US Bill of Rights and rights to privacy.
I can't speak to all your questions, Atlast, but I'll do my best.

Veteran's benefits, including education and home loans are dependent on a person's discharge. If they are discharged honorably or under honorable conditions, then they are eligible for those benefits. If someone is dishonorably discharged, then they do not receive any benefits. Under DADT, it is possible to be discharged either way. Most of the folks I know, were honorably discharged.

An honorable discharge is just that, an honorable discharge. The reason for the discharge will appear on your official discharge papers. I can't speak for the other services, but the Army states the reason for discharge. It cites the chapter number under which one is discharged, when applicable, but doesn't necessarily state "homosexuality."

Once discharged from the Army, you can only get back on base if you retired or are rated as 100% disabled. Your ID card does not state the nature of your discharge.

Hope that helped.
Goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post: