Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Wicket said:
A reference was made that some people just seem to be offended by everything. I don't believe it is my right to determine what someone finds offensive or not. In the case of offensive statements I don't believe the person expressing being offended should be questioned. Words do hurt, and part of developing and maintaining a safe place where all have a voice is refraining from making statements that you know will be offensive.

I woke up thinking about this statement. I wanted to address one piece of this or rather one important person in that scenario above.

The person who is offended needs to have the courage to say something to the person who said the offending term. As has been pointed out by many of us, we do not always know when a word is offensive. So being told in a frank and gentle way is important.

I do have to tell you that the co-worker I said something about the word retarded said something to another co=worker who used the term later that day. I don't know what was said because i was in the middle of helping a customer, but I did hear the 2nd person say "retarded."

Now, the other co-worker may have said "That's not a nice thing and here's why" or more likely he said, "Don't say that where she can hear you." Either way is fine as long as they learn to eliminate that word within my hearing.

Who knows...maybe they will realize why it is wrong to equate the word retard with lazy and stupid.

I can hope. I can also hope that when someone tells me a word offends them or something I've done offends them that I can think and act instead of kneejerk and react. That's not a pretty sight when I do that.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post: