View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 09:01 AM   #9
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I agree, I think a lot of these labels are what the individual makes of them. When I was 14 the word 'genderqueer' didn't exist. If there was a middle of the road, 'dip your toe in the pond' phrase it was Bi as a graduating step to Gay (To be clear that was a sign of the times in the 70's, it is now a clear distinct identity) or Lesbian. Gender discussion wasn't happening per se. I was claiming Butch by the time I was 17 and had gotten a OS mentor a decade my senior to teach me the ropes. It was a bit different then, everything was.

As an individual I am also TG although I find that term to be lacking as well. While masculine to the core I have been treated by society as at least partly female for 50 years. That leaves it's mark on the psyche. My stature is such, (short with smallish hands), that I rarely pass for more than a few minutes. In the minds of others something doesn't add up and I get a second hard going over. In the eye of society I barely register at all any more, that's an age thing, maybe as an oddity or a bit of a freak. I have been judged by appearance over merit for a lifetime. That just is what it is. I am so glad times are different now for those like you Butcher, that are coming up in new times.

But those are external markers, the terms we use for ourselves to ourselves carry the real weight. I spent a lot of years just saying "I don't need labels, I'm beyond definition" what a load of bullocks, I was afraid to look in the mirror for anything more than posturing. I think genderqueer and butch can easily go together or separate depending on the individual. People who grow, will grow in and out of terms and labels for their whole life, nobody has to say 'this' is the only thing they are. Label X may be right for a decade or three and then something else will fit best.

For me for now Genderqueer Butch fits pretty well, I'll let you know when I grow up some more.

Since age is part of the discussion right now, I'm 53 and have always included Butch in any set of identifiers.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post: