Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,958 Times in 13,923 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

My house was damaged for Katrina, it sunk for Rita. Yes a little storm no one remembers sunk my mohagany floor house on the bayou and that was it, i was done.

My biggest loss? .... Rosemary Pino..( RIP ). Being part of the decision to put her in a place that murdered her is not easy to live with. The caretakers gave all 12 patients their meds and fled, leaving them there to drown.

You all would have LOVED her. Please read about her below, she meant so much to me, and she saved the lives of gay folks who had no where to go in the 60's and 70's, she gave them jobs and a home.

In the end she had dementia and was told someone would be back the next day to pick her up at the facility as she was not well enough to evacuate, along with 11 others. Then the levee broke. Lost in her and Margie's house was all of the journals from the bars listed below, the photos, the memories of her adventures and all the people she touched and helped. Maybe she was murdered to spare her the heartache of seeing her house completely underwater. Margie died not long after Pino. It's all just too much.

PINO Rosemary Pino ""Mama'' tragically departed this world to meet her Heavenly Father on Monday, August 29, 2005 during Hurricane Katrina. Throughout her life, Mama was a pioneer for rights of the gay and lesbian community. In addition, she worked diligently for human rights and AIDS. With her beloved business partner and devoted friend of 56 years, Margie Normand, they owned and operated numerous gay bars including, The Grog, De Ja Vu', Pino's, The Blue Odyssey, and Club 621. Prior to the bar business, Pino worked for Hibernia Bank and Camp Leroy Johnston. Mama was heavily involved with the gay carnival organizations. A member of A.G.G.I., honorary mom for the Krewe of Polythemus and the Krewe of Armenius, she also served as a board member for the Krewe of Ishtar (an all women's gay club). Standing only five feet high, Mama's distinctive laugh and bubbly personality made her appear to be six feet tall. She volunteered for The Lighthouse for the Blind and taught blind children to swim. She loved to swim and played softball until she was forty years old. Mama fought for the underdog and often adopted gay kids whose parents had disowned them. She supported her friends and everyone who ever met her adored her and her fun loving spirit. Mama enriched other's lives and will be sadly missed by her surviving sister, Joyce Pino Cantrell; business partner, Margie Normand; close personal friends, Bonnie, Kathy, Sis, Cindy, Dee, Sue, Judy, Rusty, Mark, Keith, Linda, Beverly, and Anisha; and countless other friends. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 11:00 AM on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 at St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church, 448 Metairie, Road, Metairie, LA. Visitation will begin at 10:00 AM at the church. Burial will follow in Metairie Cemetery. LAKE LAWN METAIRIE FUNERAL HOME is in charge of arrangements.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post: