Old 03-24-2018, 08:13 AM   #1
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,892 Times in 5,770 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default Transgender People in the Military

Hi, folks. I decided to make a separate thread on this topic, rather than just updating in the "Trans News" thread, as I believe this will be ongoing.

"Last we heard", Trump wanted to kick us out, but 4 federal courts ruled against the ban. Subsequently, things continued on and individuals were able to continue to sign up.

Trump is at it again with another tweet, most likely as a way to shift the focus from the two most recent women who have come out saying they had an affair with him.

Based on what I have read (one of the articles here: https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...Z0J/story.html), unless you have been deemed as stable (defined as no symptoms of gender dysphoria over the past 18 months), you are not allowed to enter.
People who have not yet had any treatment (hormones, surgeries), and continue to have "gender dysphoria" (I assume they mean the "diagnosis" specifically), are not allowed in. Looks like they are seeing Gender Dysphoria as a mental illness and also have this crazy thinking that "transition" (I am assuming surgeries), will cost them massive amounts of money they are avoiding...or you know, it could just be discrimination.

SOOOO, I guess the way to "get in" is to have any surgeons you want completed, show proof of being on your hormones for 18 months (you have to be on hormones for 12 months before any lower surgery, anyway), and have a "medical professional" (per the above article), say you no longer have any symptoms of gender dysphoria. It appears as though the person can still take hormones in the military. Huckabee Sanders said something about following medical standards, and many cis men take testosterone.

The above proposed policy was written in December 2017.

Fortunately, since the 4 federal courts have ruled against the ban, things should continue to carry on.

"Earlier Friday, Maj. David Eastburn, a Pentagon spokesman, said the announcement of a new policy would have no immediate practical effect on the military because the Pentagon is obliged to continue to recruit and retain transgender people in accordance with current law."

So, yeah...that is the latest.

I actually feel that this will be ok. I just don't see federal courts reversing things. And big picture, it is much easier for many people to get surgeries due to insurance paying for it. More states are requiring all employers in their state to provide trans health coverage for their employees (minus self insured companies). The KICKER though, is that some states (proud of mine!), is now requiring Medicaid to cover it, as well. And Medicare has been covering it for a number of years now. It used to be hard to find a surgeon who would take Medicare, but with more and more university hospital systems starting surgical trans health programs, people with Medicare have greater access to surgeries.

It is not uncommon for trans people to move to states where they can either get private insurance that will pay for surgeries, or most often to states where Medicaid will cover it. Not only are more states requiring to have coverage, but many more are at least saying trans coverage can't be "excluded" in policies. This gives people a way to at least fight for their surgeries to be covered. Too, there has started to be groups out there who will help guide people as to how to fight their insurance.

So, progress for coverage continues to move forward at least outside the military.

Since this just "came out", it is possible the small number of articles that I have read on the subject are not completely accurate on the nuances of this policy. Please feel free to correct anything I stated above.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post: