Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Before legal same sex marriage became a reality I like many had various live in, long term partners. Yes the break ups were at times emotionally and psychologically painful but we could go our separate ways without having to go through the legal fight.

For me all of that changed when I bought a home with a partner. We saved money together and put in equal amounts and after moving to the SF Bay Area from my hometown of Los Angeles, I was a home owner for the first time in my life.

When it came time for the inevitable break up, it was nasty. Owning property with someone puts a whole new spin on things. We were not legally married but we did have a home and a small investment together. After that, I would never buy a big ticket item again with a "partner" unless we were legally married.

The irony of it all is now I am married and as a Grad student I cannot afford to buy a home or make long term financial investments. I admit it left me jaded a bit. I have to remember marriage for me, is not about a financial strategy of some sort.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post: