Old 12-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #17
persiphone
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
on a hedonistic hiatus

Thanked 1,565 Times in 380 Posts
persiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachita View Post
well that just sucks. So even my wild caught fish might be risky. Looks like I'll have to raise my own damn fish!
the problem with lots of farm raised fish is that it requires more fishing to feed those fish. it takes much more weight in feeder fish to feed a farm raised salmon than the salmon will weigh when it goes to market. so it's actually counterproductive as well as polluting and host to a number of issues like gmo fed fish, gmo fish themselves (that's in the works), and diseases.

edited to add....i've reduced our fish intake to only fish wild caught in Alaska because Alaska is the only place in the world that actively fishes sustainably. (that i know of) i know Oregon has recently made strides along these lines but i'm not sure how much Oregon coast caught fish makes it out of the state. Oregonians are very into buying local. i no longer eat seafood out and it makes me sad to see tuna still in stores and restaurants.
persiphone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to persiphone For This Useful Post: